[Javascript] multi-Select under multi-Select

Tim Makins spindrift at oceanfree.net
Wed Nov 19 15:37:05 CST 2003

Check this out:
http://phrogz.net/tmp/selpopulate.html

Tim in Ireland.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guillermo Payet" <gpayet at oceangroup.com>
To: <javascript at LaTech.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 7:39 PM
Subject: [Javascript] multi-Select under multi-Select

> Hello,
>
> I'm building a form with 2 levels of multiple choice <select> field. There
is a "subordinate" <select> whose contents depend on whatever is the
"currently selected" option in the top select field.

> For an example of what I'm talking about, which works in Mozilla but not
in Exploder, check out:

>     http://www.technosterone.com/test.jsp
>
> Finding out which option is the "currently selected" (even when others are
selected too) is not a problem with Mozilla, since the <option> element does
call a "onclick" handler.  The problem is with Explorer, which does not seem
to call any handlers from the <option>s.  I could use an "onchange" handler
on the <select> field, but "selectedIndex" just gives me the topmost
selection of the selected group, instead of the one currently selected, as I
would expect.