[Javascript] stationary buttons

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Wed Oct 1 12:53:01 CDT 2003

Didn't you find this effect annoying with ads?  I personally would
prefer to not have some artificial navigation control covering the
content I'm trying to read.  If I figured out a way to scroll the page
down, It's pretty likely that I have a way to scroll it back up.  The
floating button trick might have been useful before the mouse's scroll
wheel (or similar control) but it often appears more klunky than
necessary.

If your pages are so long that one or two flicks with a scroll wheel
don't get you where you want to be, then the page is probably just too
long to keep anyone's attention regardless of the controls you provide.

My $0.02 is that a web developer should provide the cleanest-looking and
most efficient working solution... let the sales and marketing people be
responsible for making the site's content ugly <g>