[Javascript] If else statement help

Simeon Willbanks simeon at simeons.net
Thu Oct 2 10:30:10 CDT 2003

Hello All,

I am trying to get a form to submit if a text box has a value of 4,5, or 8
characters.  If the box has any other value, the script continues on to
validate other form values.  My current code is below.

If I take away the or value=5 and or value=8, the form will submit if 4
characters are in the box.  It will not submit if any other number of
characters are in the box.  When the code is used in it¹s current state, the
form will submit no matter how many characters are in the box.  What is the
proper way to ask if a box value is equal to 4,5, or 8 please submit?

Thanks,
Simeon

if (theForm.rn.value.length == 4) || (theForm.rn.value.length == 5) ||
(theForm.rn.value.length == 8) {return (true);}
else
{
alert("Please enter a \"First name\".");
theForm.dafn.focus();
return (false);