[Javascript] A status bar for Text & Textarea

Walter Torres walter at torres.ws
Fri Oct 10 22:13:16 CDT 2003

I've been working on a status bar display for TEXT box and TEXTAREA for
quite a while now.

I think I've got it to a point where I need outside assitance. Meaning, I
would like to request individuals with different browser/OS setups take a
look at the page, enter some characters into each box and see how will it
behaves.

    http://web.torres.ws/statusbar

I have also added a compatibility chart to this pages display. When I hear
back from people I update this chart to reflect the different results.

There are still several OS/Browser combinations that I don't know about.

If you have anytime, please drop over and see how this page looks in your
browsers.

There should be a small gray status bar under the TEXT and the TEXTAREA
boxes.

When you enter characters into each, a blue bar will progress across the top
of the gray bar.

There also should be numbers under each of the colors in the bar.

The left number tells you how many characters you've entered.

The right number tells you how many characters you have left until you've
reached the "limit" of that box. Normally, this would stop any further
entry, but I've turned that "feature" off for now.

This uses CSS to display the status bar and progress bars.

It uses JavaScript to control the width of the blue bar and the insertion
and calculation of the numbers.

If, for some reason, this page does not work with your Browser/OS combo, I
would appreciate any advise on how to make it work with your setup.

Thanks for your time.

Walter