[Javascript] Microsoft.XMLDOM onreadystatechange

Chris Tifer christ at saeweb.com
Tue Oct 21 11:28:27 CDT 2003

I wouldn't add the properties to that Component you're using. If anything,
the properties are on the object you're calling. If you fire the
onreadystatechange event and detemine it's finished loading, you can update
your property on that object. For instance (pseudo code):

function XMLObj(){
    this = new ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLDOM');
    this.bIsLoaded = false;
    this.onreadystatechange = check_me
}

function check_me(){
    if(this.readystate == "what youre looking for"){
        this.blIsLoaded = true
        // will only pertain to this 'instance' of the object
        // and will set it's blIsLoaded property to true
        // in my example then, you could check its value by
        // checking: objXMLComp.blIsLoaded

var objXMLComp = new XMLObj()

Now you'll have a reference to your object by referencing objXMLComp and
whenever you check any properties/perform any methods on it, the functions
can refer to this.

The only part I'm confused about because I hadn't had to use, is how you'd
set this to the new ActiveXObject('component')

I am assuming something like what I have above would work, but would
probably take some tweakig.