[Javascript] Re: DOM/object-walking in Opera?

Alberto .·. Vallini vallinis at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 25 13:17:08 CDT 2003

Hallo

I don't know how is the current situation with the
latest versions of Opera, yet until one version ago,
so to say, Opera had no capability, in its own js
interpreter, to scan objects by for-in loops (and of
course objects can be scanned only by that specific
type of loop).
It is acnowledged as a bug: see this url:
http://list.opera.com/pipermail/opera-users/2002-May/010965.html

I agree with you that if that shortcoming is still
there it is rather appalling: scanning object
properties is not a perfunctory option, but a, so to
say, milestone necessity of any javascript scripter
who just wants to go one step beyond "prompt: write
your name here - hallo jimmy welcome to my
homepage"...
If this is still the case, my personal opinion (as
such you can dismiss it if you prefer) is _not_ to
script taking into account this Opera shortcoming:
that's too serious and I cannot see why you should cut
off from your programming options all the objects just
to accomodate a thing that is not up to you to fix but
that Opera should fix. No workaround moreover if that
limit is still in place. But as I said maybe latest
releases fixed it, although your message might suggest
it has not been dealt with.
ciao

=====