[Javascript] How to make IE display changes to DOM tree?

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sun Dec 12 05:46:57 CST 2004

Trying to make a page dynamically add extra rows (form fields, actually) to
a page.  Works wonderfully in Mozilla, refuses to do the trick in IE.
Minimalistic example:

----8<---
<head>
<script language="JavaScript">
function appendRow()
{
	tbl = document.getElementById('DynamicTable');
	newrow = document.createElement('TR');
	newcell = document.createElement('TD');
	text = document.createTextNode('Foo');
	newcell.appendChild(text);
	newrow.appendChild(newcell);
	newcell = document.createElement('TD');
	text = document.createTextNode('Bling');
	newcell.appendChild(text);
	newrow.appendChild(newcell);

	tbl.appendChild(newrow);
}
</script>
</head>
<h1>Foo</h1>

<button onClick="appendRow()">Click me!</button>

---->8----

Does the sensible thing in Mozilla Firefox (appends a new table row for each
click), but IE doesn't show any change.  Weirdest thing is, if you do a tree
dump of the DOM from the root of the table, the new nodes *are* in there --
they just never get displayed.

I'm not clueful enough to check if the newly created nodes are somehow
"display: hidden" or something, but since no example out there in the real
world shows code for unmasking these phantom elements, I don't think that's
the problem.

Can someone at least cut-n-paste the example above into a browser and tell
me if it works for them?  I'm using IE 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows 98 to test.
I've tried jacking the security zone to the most trusted level, but I still
can't get it to work.

All help greatly appreciated, preferably before I tear *all* my hair out,

- Matt

--
[On LDAP] "Lightweight my ass.  The fact that X.509 has the weight of an
18-wheel rig doesn't make a minivan something you shove in your backpack."