[Javascript] Re: How to make IE display changes to DOM tree?

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Mon Dec 13 03:30:18 CST 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 10:33:47PM -0600, Peter Brunone wrote:
> 	I tried your script and it didn't work for me either.  For what

I found the problem: The IE DOM adds an extra level of object inside the
TABLE -- TBODY.  You need to appendChild to the TBODY, not the TABLE.  So,
for instance:

row = document.createElement('TR');
tbl = document.getElementById("DynamicTable");

// Mozilla-compatible
tbl.appendChild(row);

// But for IE:
tbl.childNodes.item(0).appendChild(row);

> it's worth, when I want to add table rows in IE, I use the insertRow()
> and insertCell() methods of the table and tr, respectively.  You can

Son of a *****!  It's not even IE-specific -- it's in the W3C HTML DOM
version 2.  Aaaargh!

Thanks for the pointer, Peter -- I've found the relevant spec now, so
hopefully I should be able to write things a little simpler from now on...

Does anyone have any recommendations for good, up-to-date books or sites for
all this sort of thing?  The W3C specs, whilst good, aren't exactly the most
approachable sorts of things...

- Matt

--
"Riding through the tunnel at 200 is something you should approach in the
same way you'd bonk your neighbours wife.  A once in a while thing.  Do it