[Javascript] gradual scroll from another frame.

ivan lópez  ivan at textzi.net
Fri Dec 17 17:14:38 CST 2004

hi People,

This is my first shot at javascript, so please bear with me : )

I have a frame set up that looks like this:

|           |           |
|           |           |
|  frame 1  |  frame 2  |
|           |           |
|           |           |

I'm trying to "gradually" scroll frame 1 by pressing on a radio button
in frame 2. Copying&pasting, I wrote the following, which gives me the
effect I want when there are no frames, ie it "gradually" scrolls a
window:

var x=0;
function escrol()
   {
          if (x<1190) {
                 window.scroll(0, x);
                 x=x+10;
                 setTimeout('escrol()', 100);
         }
         else    {
                 if (x=1190) {
                         window.scroll(0, x);
                         x=x+10;
                         scrolldelay=setTimeout('escrol()', 100);
                         }
                 else {
                 clearTimeout(scrolldelay);

<form>
<input type=radio onClick=escrol()>
</form>

I tried to adapt what I found in this thread:
https://lists.latech.edu/pipermail/javascript/2003-December/006781.html
I changed my code a bit and put it in the <head> of frame 2, but it
doesn't seem to work:

var x=0;
var frameone = parent.top.frames["one"];
function escrol()
   {
          if (x<1190) {
                 frameone.window.scroll(0, x);
                 x=x+10;
                 setTimeout('escrol()', 100);
         }
         else    {
                 if (x=1190) {
                         frameone.window.scroll(0, x);
                         x=x+10;
                         scrolldelay=setTimeout('escrol()', 100);
                         }
                 else {
                 clearTimeout(scrolldelay);

What am I doing wrong?