[Javascript] bubble up event

Paul Novitski paul at novitskisoftware.com
Wed Jun 2 11:49:33 CDT 2004

At 08:36 AM 6/2/2004, Chris T wrote:
>In your iFrame, you could have something like:
>
>document.body.onclick = parent.functionName

I've gotten into the habit of using window.top, which points to the top
parent window in the DOM hierarchy no matter how many levels up that might
be.  If you're writing modular code that needs to refer to the top parent
regardless of context, you might consider window.top.

Here are two ways that a script running in a child iframe or window can run
an event-related function in the parent window:

parent:
         <a id="ParentLink" onclick="ParentBusiness()" ...>

child:
1) either trigger the object's event:

         var oObj = window.top.document.getElementById("ParentLink")
         oObj.click()

2) or call the function:

         window.top.ParentBusiness()

The child has to know either the name of the object or the name of the
function.

(I don't know if there's a "keypress" equivalent of the click()
method.  Anyone?)

Paul