[Javascript] DOM navigation

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 15:19:49 CDT 2004

>document.getElementById('myDiv').firstChild.rows[rowIndex].cells[cellInd
>ex] ?
>
>	Can somebody confirm whether or not the rows and cells
>collections are w3c standard?  I use 'em all the time in IE, but that's
>not saying much...

They're part of the standard, but buggy in Safari, see
http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/w3c_html.html#tables for the details.

Also, when dealing with very large tables they're very slow compared to
other methods, especially in Explorer Windows. See
http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/innerhtml.html for the tests.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.quirksmode.org/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/