[Javascript] client side file i/o

Vadiraj C S vadiraj at mail.cyberneme.com
Tue Jun 15 06:17:45 CDT 2004

  I've tried all the possibilities, nothing seems to work even
with signed script.

  The scripts throws
JavaScript Error: uncaught Java exception
netscape/security/ForbiddenTargetException("User didn't grant the
UniversalFileRead privilege.")

IF I use netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege(["targetName"])

  it gives permission denied if I dont use this.

> With this all I got was a "Permission Denied", but if you said that you
> have a way to allow your script to access local drive, then try this:
>
> <script>
> var oRequest;
>
> if(document.all) {
>    // Internet Explorer
>    oRequest = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
> }
> else {
>    // Mozilla
>    oRequest = new XMLHttpRequest();
> }
>

> oRequest.open("GET", "file:///C:/myLocalFile.txt", false);
> oRequest.send(null);
> textToBeWritten = oRequest.responseText;
>
> document.write(textToBeWritten);
> </script>

  This also gives the same error.

  I've referred this link,