[Javascript] See if item is hidden...

Paul Novitski paul at novitskisoftware.com
Tue Jun 22 13:08:33 CDT 2004

At 10:50 AM 6/22/2004, jsWalter wrote:
>Anyone have any idea how I can discover if a page item is hidden if it
>is a child of some other element?
>      DIV a
>         SPAN a1
>            P  a11
>            P  a12
>         SPAN a2
>            P  a21
>            P  a22
>Now, the user turns "off" DIV 'a' and everything it has disappears.
>
>Say I want to insert some text in 'Pa21', but I need to know if it is
>showing or not.
>
>How can I know if 'Pa21' is "showing"?

Walter,

It depends on what mechanism you're using to hide the div.  Parsing the
stylesheet is hard but possible (see http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/); much
easier would be to set the inline style or the class name of the
grandparent DIV.

If oP is your P tag, oP.parentElement.parentElement would be the containing
DIV, and oP.parentElement.parentElement.style.visibility or
oP.parentElement.parentElement.style.display or
oP.parentElement.parentElement.className would likely contain the
information you need.

Paul