[Javascript] RE: semicolon;

Mark Wonsil wonsil at 4m-ent.com
Fri Jun 25 18:11:44 CDT 2004

Edward Tisdale wrote:
> And this great use of a semicolon is not available in
> Visual Basic. What does one do in this case?

<trying_to_stay_above_the_fray />

I don't know how far back you may remember, but in the "old days" BASIC use
to require that every line have a number:

10 REM MY FIRST PROGRAM
20 PRINT "HELLO WORLD, FOREVER"
30 GOTO 20

It was a big deal when version of BASIC came out that didn't require the
line numbers.  Since VB uses a line terminator, if you want to continue onto
the next line (for readability) you must use a continuation character, which
is the underscore "_".

However, VB did not want to be half-assed when it came to putting multiple
statements on a single line and chose the colon instead of the semi-colon.
;-)

Have a great weekend everyone,

Mark W.