[Javascript] Browser popularity chart

Andrew Crawford javascript at evermore.com
Fri Mar 19 10:46:56 CST 2004

Dan,

This is probably getting too off-topic but ...

This one provides the most-recognized information along that line in the
industry:

    http://www.statmarket.com/

... however, they charge to access it.

These sites offer stats based on some fairly high-traffic sites:

    http://www.thecounter.com/stats/

    http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/bstats/latest.html

As Tim Makins noted, however, the best source of the most relevant data is
going to be your own server logs.  For the small collection of sites I
maintain, their is significant variance from the stats on the sites listed
above.

You can use a log analysis tool such as Webalyzer (
http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/ ) to generate reports that include the
information you want.  Monitoring over time will give you an even better
idea of the trends.

Of course, if you are looking to see what percentage of your visitors are
going to have support for what JavaScript features, there has been a whole
thread recently (i.e. a few days ago) about object detection and browser
detection that might provide some insight.

Andrew Crawford
JavaScript at Evermore.com