[Javascript] URL Display

Rakesh Pai rakeshpai at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 23:30:27 CDT 2004

And shouldn't you hide the extension? The URL is part of the
user-interface, (If not google, this is the single most imporatant way
your user will ever reach your site) and anyone will tell you that the
user-interface should hide the underlying coding specifics.

Ideally, the URL should be a short meaningful string that will help
the user access the page he wants to. The URL is not necessarily the
location of the file, complete with the folder structure and
extension, and even worse, the URL should be intentionally devoid of
the GET parameters. This might not be necessary, and might even be
unavoidable at some times.

This is why there are some sites that have scripts that read the URL,
decipher it and point it to the right resource. Designing the URL is a
very important and often neglected part of web design.

However, Grinwald, for the question you have asked, in most
probability, these are simply folders on the server, or maybe virtual
folders. The file name, if not specified, defaults to index.htm,
index.php or default.asp, depending on the server setting.

so, <http://www.companyname.com/company/> might actually refer to
<http://www.companyname.com/company/index.htm>.

HTH,
Rakesh Pai