[Javascript] Sending referer to form in a pop-up window

Ron Koster ron at psymon.com
Tue Jan 25 18:40:01 CST 2005

Hi folks!

I wanted to create a link on pretty well every page of my site which, when
clicked on, would open up a little pop-up window that contained a form
where they could provide comments, corrections, etc. for the parent window.
Using ColdFusion, I was going to pass the referer of the parent window to
the form in the pop-up. The problem is that it works fine if I don't create
a new window with javascript, but just use the simple HTML method (i.e.
target="_blank"), but when I create the new window with javascript (which
is what I want to do in order to get rid of the toolbars, etc., of course)
the referer doesn't get passed along. At least, this is what happens using
IE as one's browser -- in Firefox it seems to work just fine, though.

I asked some ColdFusion pros that I know about this, and they all said that
it's not a CF problem but a javascript problem -- and hence the reason I'm
here!

To see my test page for this, see...

http://www.riefenstahl.org/testform.html

...and view it in IE, of course. As you'll note, if you just click on the
link (opening the new window via javascript), then the referer isn't passed
along to the appropriate form field in the pop-up window. However, if you
right-click over the link and select "open in new window", then the
javascript is bypassed, and, as you'll see, the referer then does indeed
get passed along.

Any solutions/suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Ron :)

Psymon Web Bindery -> http://www.Psymon.com
...presents...
Leni's Rising Star -> http://www.Riefenstahl.org