Firefox (Was Re: [Javascript] Image follows mouse)

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 20:42:29 CDT 2005

<snip>
> >If your releasing a browser, you should be
> >releasing a standards compliant browser, and coding for that.
>
> I think that you've neglected the fact that, 'implementing all that current
> browsers support', meant exactly supporting the standards at its essence and
> expanding far beyond.

I don't see any reason to support broken features that IE has. Why not
just code the standards, and new proposed standards (in a special dev
version, for example all mozilla unofficial functions, that are in
proposed standards have mozilla- at the start so that when the
standard is official they don't possibly conflict and do funny stuff.)
Supporting broken things from IE would encourage people to code they
way they do now (for IE and not for standards) rather than encourage
standards.

<snip>
> >Don't talk about something you know nothing about.
>

> Sorry I've hurt your feelings about firefox. I still code using notepad and
> that of course should mean that I don't have a slight clue about coding,
> -but my first job & payment out of it came at March 1997.
>

> But after all, I was only trying to be helpfull, I'm sorry for that to...

Sorry about 'snapping' at you. It was to early in the morning for me
to fire off a reply like that. Have you looked at using Vim (Gvim) for
coding? It runs on linux and windows, and IIRC mac. Has some really
nice features for coding, including CSS and HTML. For example it can
complete names, and auto close tags and stuff.
And I'm sure you do have a clue about coding, just cause you use
notepad, doesn't mean you don't. It does mean you need to find a
better editor ;)

Try Firefox one day. It has a really nice javascript console as well
as decent DOM inspector and javascript debug tools. Just don't open to
many tabs at once when doing debug work...

Once again, sorry about snapping, and you didn't really hurt my
feelings, just Firefox's ;)

Tim