[Javascript] JS Marquee Scroller Question

Roger Roelofs rer at datacompusa.com
Thu Aug 3 13:38:53 CDT 2006

tedd,

On Aug 3, 2006, at 2:15 PM, tedd wrote:

> At 4:42 PM +0000 8/3/06, Troy III Ajnej wrote:
>> In that case you should throw away the "marquee" tag
>> turn to javascript based solution. Seems to me that the proposed
>> Roger Roelofs
>> and Chris Heilmann approach should work in most browsers even if
>> heavily CSS dependable: why don't you try it?
>
> Yep, I tried it.
>
> It worked once, scrolled off the page and kept going (probably
> still is).
>
> see:  http://xn--ovg.com/marquee/index2.php
>
> I'm not a js expert in any fashion -- I looked at the code but
> can't see the problem. The var maraginLeft is being reset to zero,
> but that doesn't do anything.
>
> I tried Googling Roger Roelofs and Chris Heilmann and horizontal
> image scrolling and spent a more than an hour trying to find the
> original code, but with no luck.

I'm not famous like Chris...  The code I suggested is only a starting
place, and doesn't give the continuous scroll effect you are after.
I'm away until 11:00pm tonight, but I can look at the code after
that.  It doesn't reset because marginLeft is mis-spelled.

     change
maraginLeft = 0;

marginLeft = 0;

hth