Charset (Was: RE: [Javascript] JS Marquee - Advanced!

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Sun Aug 13 15:20:23 CDT 2006

At 5:30 PM +0000 8/13/06, Troy III Ajnej wrote:
>-snip-
>In many cases, the very first newline character will correctly
>reveal it, although, I personally encourage everyone to give the
>correct description
>of it; -Of course, if they're sure on what type of encoding they've
>used while saving
>the document. Since you can not set it, you can only describe it!
>-And that is where we all get confused, -even the great Rasmus
>Lerdorf the founder.

I don't think he is confused, but rather we (or least me) fall short
on fully understanding what's going on. There are things working in
the background that are not obvious to me.

>  Not that I've red it anywhere but:
>The charset encoding depends on your choice while first naming and saving your
>document from your chosen editor, not on your meta description.
>The browser might take you for your word and try to read/render the document
>according to your wrong description. But most browsers are smart and the first
>encountered mismatch they fallback to auto-detection and re-read the
>content using
>the correct encoding/decoding scheme.

That makes sense and you're the one that first pointed that out for
me. I think that a great number, perhaps the majority of web
designers, don't realize that when they save a document from their
editor that their code can be saved in something other than ASCII.

Up to now, I never made the connection that if I place a charset at
UFT-8 in a web page document that I should also save the document as
a UTF-8 file. I'm sure that I am not alone in this error. I'm also
not sure as to how to save a document as UTF-8 encoding in the first
place.

tedd

--
-------