[Javascript] select all checkboxes script

Cutter java.script at seacrets.com
Fri Feb 3 04:56:38 CST 2006

Here's something I recently contributed to a project a friend of mine
gives away...

Hope it helps,
Cutter

<!---
//    Author:        Steve 'Cutter' Blades
//    Revision:    Add js scripting for a 'Select All' type checkbox
//                Aside from the below javascript the following line are
required:
//                on the 'Select All' checkbox input element you will
need and
//                onclick event of
'toggleCheckboxes(this,document.forms.#formname#.#checkfields#)',
//                and on the checkbox fields (all of the same id/name)
you will need
//                an onclick event of
'uncheckSelectAllBox(document.forms.#formname#.#selectallfieldname#,this)
 --->
    // Functions for checking and unchecking all checkboxes passed by name
    function toggleCheckboxes(checkItFldObj, fldObj){
        if (checkItFldObj.checked){
            checkAll(fldObj);
        } else {
            uncheckAll(fldObj);

    // Function to check all fields
    function checkAll(field){
        if (!field.length){
            field.checked = true;
        } else {
            for (i = 0; i < field.length; i++)
                field[i].checked = true ;

    // Function to uncheck all fields
    function uncheckAll(field){
        //alert(field.length);
        if (!field.length){
            field.checked = false;
        } else {
            for (i = 0; i < field.length; i++)
                field[i].checked = false ;

    // Function to uncheck the 'Select All' checkbox if an item is unchecked
    function uncheckSelectAllBox(checkItFldObj,fldObj){
        if ((fldObj.checked == false) && (checkItFldObj.checked == true))
            checkItFldObj.checked = false;
    }
</script>

All<br />
<input type="checkbox" name="selectAll" id="selectAll"
onclick="toggleCheckboxes(this,document.forms.myFormName.chkbxFldName);" />

<!--- Cutter 01.25.06: Add onclick function call to uncheck 'Select All'
box --->
<input type="checkbox" name="chkbxFldName" id="chkbxFldName" value=""
onClick="uncheckSelectAllBox(document.forms.myFormName.selectAll,this) />