[Javascript] select all checkboxes script

Triche Osborne wdlists at triche-osborne.com
Tue Feb 7 09:06:39 CST 2006

David Dorward wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 03:41:04PM +0100, Michael Borchers wrote:
>
>>>// and on the checkbox fields (all of the same id/name)
>

>>the script works fine, but not if the name/id is
>>
>>chkbxFldName[0], chkbxFldName[1], chkbxFldName[2] etc...!? :(
>

> It does say that the name / id must be the same.
>
> Having the id the same is forbidden (as is having [ or ] in an id),
> but having the name the same is the standard way of creating a control
> group in HTML.
>
> PHP just has some unusual (i.e. unlike every other standard form
> processing library) naming conventions.

Just a note here: If this form is used for PHP input-only (not a sticky
form), there's no reason for PHP's sake to add the integers as long as
the selections are sequential. In other words, naming all selections
chkbxFldName[] will produce an indexed array of chkbxFldName[0],
chkbxFldName[1], etc on the server side.
	I haven't played with this on the JavaScript side to know how it would
affect this particular script, but with those two caveats, it shouldn't
mess up your PHP input.

Triche Osborne