[Javascript] Opening new tabs in FireFox.

Paul Novitski paul at novitskisoftware.com
Fri Feb 17 10:48:07 CST 2006

At 03:19 AM 2/17/2006, Shawn Milo wrote:
>To anyone's knowledge, is there any JS yet which can open a URL in a new tab?

I've looked for an answer to this, too, but as far as I've been able
to discover, window.open() is the only way to do it.  Whether this
opens a new browser window or a new tab is controlled by user
settings within Firefox.  As I understand it, this evidences a very
conscious design philosophy common in the web standards community
which suggests, for example, that we developers not attempt to
override the user's tab/window settings but to allow the user to
control that level of usability.

A couple of links on the new tab/new window technology:

Open external links in new windows or tabs
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#beh_reuse

Firefox hacks: Tip 1: Modify tabbed browsing
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10165_7-6212515-1.html

I got 910,000 hits by googling
         firefox javascript open new tab

Cheers,