[Javascript] Resizing browser window

Geoff Knutzen geoffreyk at seanet.com
Mon Jul 24 09:38:39 CDT 2006

First off, let me state that I don't want to do this, and have tried to
convince the decision makers that this is a bad idea, but to no avail.

At a certain point in the application that I am working on, I need to shrink
the width of the current browser and open a new, small browser window next
to it. I am having some troubles getting the width of the browser window. I
can get the width of the viewport, but not the width including scrollbars
and browser frame. The heart of the trouble is that I can get the width of
the viewport, but can only set the width of the browser window. Is there a
way to get the width of the browser window and/or set the width of the
viewport so that browser will resize around it? I need to support ie6, FF
and Safari.

Thanks for any help
-Geoff