[Javascript] Decrement operator, XHTML Strict 1.1 DTD, Internet Explorer 6?

Troy III Ajnej trojani2000 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 29 16:15:53 CDT 2006

have you tried
counter--

From: john at jwarner.comTo: javascript at LaTech.eduDate: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:06:02 -0400Subject: [Javascript] Decrement operator, XHTML Strict 1.1 DTD, Internet Explorer 6?

Target browser is IE 6 (Winders)
This is for my own education, how do you handle this? I was trying to use the XHTML 1.1 Strict DTD. With my script code in the document head, I have a function that has a line of code:
--counter  //decrement counter
The code works this way just fine in IE. But when I went to the w3c validator it fails me due to this line within my script; calls it an improperly formed comment. OK, I think and proceed to enclose my script code within a CDATA block. W3C validator says OK, script blows up in IE - wait for it, guess where, on the CData opener and closer. So is it possible to use the decrement operator in a script with the Strict 1.1 dtd and IE 6? If so what have I missed and other then the obvious
counter = counter -1;
Is there a solution for this? Note telling me Firefox or Opera etc is useless the target is IE.

Thanks

John Warner