[Javascript] [JavaScript List] IE6 does not show height 100% textarea

John Deighan jdeighan at pcgus.com
Sat Oct 21 12:39:47 CDT 2006

At 04:38 AM 10/21/2006, Bernu Bernard wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a big problem with IE6 with the property height :100%
>
>Here is a simple example :

>left : 200px ; width : 200px ; height : 200px ; background-color : #aaa ; ">
><textarea style="margin : 0 ; height:100% ; width : 100% "></textarea>
>
>In IE6, only a 2 line textarea is displayed. Other browsers work fine.
>
>The reason I need to use 100% is that I'm resizing often the container div.
>
>Is there a workaround ? I could find the answer in books neither.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think that this might be relevant; I discovered it recently regarding IE6:

IE6 has 2 modes (I think I have these names
right): Compliance mode and Compatibility mode
(aka "quirks" mode). In Compliance mode, IE6 is
more or less (i.e. not very) compliant with the
standards. In Compatibility mode, it's more
compatible with older versions of IE. Which mode
it is using depends on the HTML page it receives.
If that page has a DOCTYPE declaration before the
opening <html> tag, it will run in Compliance mode. We use this:

just before the opening <html> tag in our web
pages. There are other variations, but they
should declare the document to be an HTML 4.0 document.

We've found some "quirks" in Compliance mode. For
example, if you have a table surrounded by
<center> tags, the centering will filter into the
table, and content inside <td> tags will be
centered! The only way I know to get around that
is to have a CSS stylesheet with this in it:

table td {
         text-align: left;
         }

That explicitly says that text inside a <td> that
is part of a table (of course, all <td> elements
should be part of a table) should have left
aligned text. Also, in "Compliance mode", if you
have something like this in a stylesheet:

p {
         font-size: 11;
         }

it will be ignored, though in "Compatibility
mode", the 11 will be taken as meaning pixels.
According to the standard, units should always be
present, unless the value is 0, which I assume you wouldn't use for font-size.

You might try experimenting with some simple
static HTML pages, including or excluding the DOCTYPE declaration.