[Javascript] Problem w/Javascript, interpolation, functions, onclick

Paul Novitski paul at juniperwebcraft.com
Wed Oct 25 12:18:55 CDT 2006

At 10/25/2006 08:24 AM, Nathan V. Patwardhan wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 11:52:36PM -0400, Matt Warden wrote:
>: Now, lord knows what you're trying to do with passing 'this'. If you
>: tell us what you want 'this' to refer to, we can probably help you out
>: there. Whatever you're wanting it to point to, it ain't.
>
>I'm modifying table cells based on an onclick event.  So, for a table
>row that contains:

Nathan,

You don't need to pass 'this' explicitly as a parameter to a
behavioral event.  See this example:

         <tag id="something">something to click</tag>

         var oSomething = document.getElementById("something");
                 if (!oSomething) return;
         oSomething.onclick = jsDoSomething;

         function jsDoSomething(evt)
         {
                 // cancel event-bubbling
                         if (evt) { event = evt; }
                 event.cancelBubble = true;

                 // now act on the object whose behavior triggered
this function
                 var sClass = this.tagName;       // etc.
         }

I recommend that you peruse the excellent scripting examples at
Peter-Paul Koch's http://www.quirksmode.org/

Regards,
Paul