[Javascript] Javascript detection

David Dorward david at dorward.me.uk
Tue Jan 2 16:40:10 CST 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 02:24:02PM -0800, Paul Novitski wrote:
> >... but lets avoid XHTML for the most part. In the majority of cases,
> >its a lot of trouble for no benefit, and is usually done wrong.
>
> Unless I'm misunderstanding, I disagree with this point.  I don't
> find the rule-set of XHTML-Strict to be at all onerous;

The pain comes mostly from Appendix C (and that XHTML as text/html
depends on browsers getting HTML wrong in the first place (even though
most do)).

> I use XHTML-Strict because a) it's the future

Can I borrow your time machine?

> I hope it gets me a lighter sentence that I promise to serve it up
> as xml as soon as an XHTML-compatible IE version gains sufficient
> market share.

So you cut out support for the segment of the market that is still
using non-XML browsers, for what benefit?

> This is off-topic here

To bring things back on topic, there is also the issue of Firefox
often requiring hefty rewrites of JavaScript for use in XHTML, since
you need to use namespace aware DOM methods, and avoid
document.write().