[Javascript] Strictly speaking (Was Javascript Detection)

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 08:31:11 CST 2007

On 1/3/07, Mark Wonsil <wonsil at 4m-ent.com> wrote:
> While I have occasionally used document.write(), I've always thought it to be
> a "dirty" way to alter pages. It sure is easier than using DOM methods but
> does it not lend itself to creating errors of well-formedness and making
> subsequent changes to the page more difficult - especially in a growing AJAX
> world? Does document.write() have a place in a progressive enhancement
> environment?
>
> I'm just curious what others think.

They'll tell you "no", and then they'll turn around and tell you that
innerHTML is fine.

I find DOM manipulations to be elegant, once you wrap your ahead
around the fact that this is *not* markup anymore, but rather an
active document, represented by a tree structure.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA