[Javascript] Scroller

Paul Novitski paul at juniperwebcraft.com
Fri Jan 26 19:36:14 CST 2007

At 1/26/2007 04:12 PM, Janie Hadsel wrote:
>Does anyone know of a good div scroller script?

This isn't the answer you're looking for, but I'll venture the
opinion that the only good scroller is a dead scroller.

All of the ones I've encountered are highly inaccessible: can't be
driven by a keyboard and require fine motor control that can be
challenging even without visual, muscular, or neurological
disabilities.  They also haven't been compatible with the scroll
wheel on the modern mouse, forcing most users to change their
ergonomic interactive habits just to read one page in a million.  And
for what gain?

I realize you're probably trying to create scrolling content in the
middle of a static field but I'd urge you to consider alternatives
such as CSS {position: static} to freeze the non-scrolling content
<http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/fixed.html> or {overflow: scroll}
for the div itself.  I know scrollbars are ugly, but they work and
they work with existing assistive technology.

If you proceed, I urge you to devise a scroller that's accessible and
easy to use.

Regards,

Paul