[Javascript] Database and SQL

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Wed Jan 31 09:19:46 CST 2007

At 11:00 AM -0200 1/30/07, Henrique Rennó wrote:
>Hello!!!
>
>I have an Access Database and a form I had
>created to do some queries on the data. One of
>the things I do is when the user clicks to open
>a dropdown box it executes some code in VBA to
>compose a SQL statement and search for all
>values stored in the field that this dropdown
>box will contain. Now I need to put this
>database on the web and I'm using the perl
>module DBD::ODBC that works very fine in order
>to access the Access database tables.
>
>I had put a html "form" tag with a "select" tag
>that I want to work the same way the dropdown
>box works in the Access form. What I'm in doubt
>is if there is a way of executing a script (with
>the form's action method) every time a "select"
>(dropdown) box is open to load into it all the
>values from the field in the database. Usually
>when a script is executed it loads the results
>into another page (or a new window) but in this
>case the values should go into a component
>without loading some other page.
>
>I don't know if doing it using Javascript is
>possible but I'd like some hints of other kinds
>of technology I should learn like JSP or
>Servlets, whatever could make this SQL query
>works the way I described.
>
>Thanks!!!
>
>--
>Henrique

Henrique:

I designed something similar here:

http://ancientstones.com/catalog.php

Please note, there is NO javascript in this
example. This is all done via php/mysql with
html/css presenting the data.

The problems you face are not solvable using
javascript because javascript is client-side and
the user may have javascript turned off. What you
want to do can be done using just server-side
technology, namely mysql and php. As such, it's
always available for the user regardless of what
they think they want.

I may get an argument from this list, but it's my
opinion that javascript should be used as an
unobtrusive enhancement to web functionality and
not as a foundation for it.

Cheers,

tedd
--