[Javascript] Resizing images client-side

Alex Robinson latechjavascript at alex.cloudband.com
Fri Jul 13 20:45:18 CDT 2007

>Ah, it sounded so good until, er, step #1... :-)
>
>>  1. get the picture file to load on the page.
>
>If you mean load the image into the current page -- sorry, can't do
>that. The browser security model (wisely) blocks that from happening
>when the page in question has been loaded from a remote server.
>
>At least, as far as I can tell. But working code trumps all, so if
>you've got some, I'd love to see it...

Yes, I'd love to see that too.

However, while we wait for that code to materialise, I think that the
following may provide a solution to Tedd's needs:

    http://swfupload.mammon.se/

What is SWFUpload

A small javascript/flash library to get the best of both worlds - The
great upload capabilitys of flash and the accessibility and ease of
html/css

     * Upload multiple files at once by ctrl/shift-selecting in dialog
     * Javascript callbacks on all events
     * Get file information before upload starts
     * Style upload elements with XHTML and css
     * Display information while files are uploading using HTML
     * No page reloads necessary
     * Works on all platforms/browsers that has Flash support.
     * Degrades gracefully to normal HTML upload form if Flash or
javascript is unavailable
     * Control filesize before upload starts
     * Only display chosen filetypes in dialog
     * Queue uploads, remove/add files before starting upload

<<<<