[Javascript] dynamically reading/changing values in a css class from javascript

Troy III Ajnej trojani2000 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 22:54:27 CDT 2007

it is impossible to change the CSS itself. Eventhough you can assign
a different value for some property of an element through javascript,
it is done via inline css, meaning that the body of css remains uncha-
ged. Only the HTML code will change.

exmp.
your code:
<DIV class=navPanel>..</DIV>

resulting code after js manipulation:
<DIV class=navPanel style="width:561px">..</DIV>

So, it is posible for you to read css and change values of properties
inlined but if your script statement says this.style.width="" the res-
ulting width of that element will return to it's original value as it exists
in the style body but not undefined.
(As I recall from my last check on this, few years ago).

Regards~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                        Troy III                            progressive art enterprise~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:18:24 +0100From: lbettridge at twowaytv.co.ukTo: javascript at LaTech.eduSubject: [Javascript] dynamically reading/changing values in a css class from javascript

Is it possible to read a value from a CSS class and assign it to a javascript variable ? and then in turn change the value in the CSS class from javascript?

Eg.

In CSS file

.navPanel
{
      position: absolute;
      background: url(gfx/panel.png) no-repeat;
      top: 325px;
      left: 39px;
      width: 561px;
      height: 124px;
      z-index: 2;
      visibility: hidden;
}

in Javascript file

var width = [somehow read the .navPanel.width value]-- Two Way TV is the trading name of Two Way Media LtdCompany Number: 4904168