[Javascript] Javascript echo()?

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Fri Oct 5 11:49:52 CDT 2007

At 10:16 PM -0600 10/4/07, Scott Reynen wrote:
>On Oct 4, 2007, at 8:23 PM, tedd wrote:
>
>>  Hi gang:
>>
>>  I'm currently sending data (the value of s) to another script via the
>>  html statement:

>>  However, I need to add another variable, namely a javascript variable.
>>
>>  How can I send both a php and a javascript variable at the same time?
>>
>>  Not to mislead anyone with a better idea, but what I need is
>>  something in javascript that works like like php's echo().
>>
>>  TIA for any replies.
>
>The closest JavaScript equivalent to echo() is document.write;
>however, that only works within <script> tags, which of course can't
>go within attributes of other tags.  So it would be better (not least
>because it would be possible) to read the href attribute and append
>the JavaScript variable to it before opening the link, e.g.:

>( this.getAttribute( 'href' ) + '&t=' + t ); return false;">Click
>here</a>
>
>Peace,
>Scott

Scott:

Your solution worked so cool for all browsers except for Safari. I
thought Safari had it wrong, but the documentation states that unless
the window is opened by javascript, it cannot be assured that it can
be closed by javascript.

Is there a way to tie an open window to javascript's window object?
Or, perhaps another solution to the original problem?

Many thanks for your time and effort.

Cheers,

tedd
--