[Javascript] readonly in IE7

John Pillion john at conv-dg.com
Sat Sep 1 15:41:09 CDT 2007

k, I have another question.  I'm trying to mark a text box as readonly
(from a 'yes/no' radio pair, where disabledValue is the value from the
radio button - this part works fine). Below is the portion of code,
which will not work in IE7 (possibly all versions of IE?).

    var txtBox = document.forms["bldForm"].elements["bldName"];

    if (disabledValue.toLowerCase() == "y"){
        txtBox.setAttribute('readonly','readonly');
    }else{
        txtBox.removeAttribute('readonly');
    }

I saw elsewhere that the following sometimes is more reliable for IE to
do the following:

    txtBox.setAttribute('readonly','');
    txtBox.readonly = 'readonly';

this does not work either though, nor does

    txtBox.readonly = 'readonly';