[Javascript] Maximun length of an id

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Tue Sep 11 12:48:48 CDT 2007

    If you're worried about SQL injection, why wouldn't you just take care of that when designing your server-side code?

    Besides, couldn't someone just write a parser that takes your HTML and finds whatever the encrypted ID is now... and then uses *that* to submit whatever data they want?

From: Terry Riegel <riegel at clearimageonline.com>

The reason for encrypting is because the id would "mean" something to
the server, and someone could determine what it means to the server
and change it to get the server to do something the page never wanted
it to do.

I think I can illustrate by showing an example without an encrypted id.

This is the data from my database. It is record number 01234

If I take this example and then write some snazzy Javascript to post
new data to the server, then I have just exposed my database. All
someone would have to do is determine how my post is working and
change recordid-01234 to recordid-01231 or something like that.

Does that make sense?

Terry