[Javascript] Fade transition onmouseover/out based on CSS :hover?

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Thu Sep 27 06:57:18 CDT 2007

Cutter (JS Related) wrote:
> Word of warning, though. I'm using Firefox, in which it doesn't appear
> to do anything.

I did notice that. None of the button onclick functions returned
anything. However the seekTo() function does work and in this instance
it's exactly what I wanted. I'm not paying massive attention right now
but I assume the reason for the buttons not working is down to an
IE-proprietary DOM method – which shouldn't be that hard to fix (BTW the
'killer feature' is beyond what I thought was possible, Tedd – I'll
definitely have to try and make that cross-browser).

> What were your reservations about using JQuery? There
> are several, light-weight, DOM frameworks out there. Don't reinvent the
> wheel if you don't have to.

Well... It's the reason I subscribe to this list (it's also the reason I
stick to text editors and graphics programs in web dev). Because I want
to manipulate the DOM hands-on. Because the term WYSIWYG is completely
misleading. When I look at the code I see what I'm actually going to get
as opposed to an abstraction that goes through other filters. I want to
write scripts that do exactly what I want and I want to understand them.
It's the same reason I can't get into Flash – I just can't work with
these black boxes whose inner workings are acts of God that I can't
really take responsibility – or account – for.

In essence, I'd rather be learning lowest-denominator javascript than
some other bizarre language that teaches me how to use a product but not
much else directly (ie libraries). I can easily see the advantages to
just using jQuery, but it's just not me.

Regards,
Barney