[Javascript] "Click to activate" for Quicktime in IE7

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Mon Mar 17 09:03:56 CDT 2008

I've recently come up against this problem and none of the purported solutions seem to work.  Basically, I have a quicktime ActiveX control on the page and I want to assign a .mov file to it using the SetURL method.

The problem, of course, is that the QT control must be clicked before I can do this (some stupid patent lawsuit that forced MS to change the way they implement this functionality).  This makes for a jerky user experience.

I've tried the replacing the object's outerHTML, I've tried writing the entire tag with Javascript, and I've tried a simple object.focus() or object.select() call -- even tried calling the click event on the object itself -- and nothing seems to get around this little roadblock (or perhaps it's more of a speed bump).

Has anyone gotten IE7 to play the movie without a user click?

TIA,

Peter