[Javascript] Accessibility (discussion)

Troy III Ajnej trojani2000 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 02:15:45 CST 2008

But you are welcome,

I already mentioned screen readers. I'm sure you will agree that
managing screen resolutions means suiting only visually impaired,
but not the blind.
As you pointed: They already have screen readers therefore all
that is required from our side is to provide some suitable version
of our content for their existing readers.
---
On your second point I guess, that's why we should avoid Ajax
for as much as possible when managing important content.
Although screenReaders should be reading from the screen. Or at
least improve refresh capabilities to suite Ajax based also.
---
In most frequent cases, changing the text-size on browser doesn't
give any effect, depending on the coder approach...
I think my explication on resolution font-size and page layout design
co-dependence was not clear at all.

On my current resolution (@1600px W) most of the pages I visit are
hardly readable, simply because they were coded (sometimes) for 960,
or (mainly) 1024, and (not often) 1280px screen widths. The text gets
hard to read even for my over average sight.

Coding and recoding the same page layout for different resolutions
is not an option. I remember that lots of Sites used to host at least
two versions of the same design for different screens. That's a waste.

On the other hand;
If you allow the user to change the text-size via browser side option
your layout will break, especially with fixed layouts. While fluid layouts
have almost completely vanished. The change of object sizes in a fixed
layout will always cause something to either overflow, get clipped or similar.

In earlier posts;
Somebody mentioned Acrobat. So I was almost sure that I was very well
understood. - "Acrobat" is the (in one word) answer/description.
Enabling your page to automatically fit your current window size and
of course your screen resolution. Afterwards you will either maximize
your window, or change the zoom ratio to suit your eyes.

JavaScript+dom&css can provide means for this functionality:
 1. Preserve your layout design;
 2. Fit all screens;
 3. Enhance visually impaired accessibility;
with "one in all" solution.

The same script will further enable you to:
provide extensibility to 'tab' into sections, zoom in and out of particular
parts of content for those who can't use mouse as easy as we do and
are of week sight too, which is something that can be achieved using
1 javascript encapsulated module throughout your site.

The only issue I've encountered so far, is the lack of CSS standard to
implement the background-image-size control which as far as
I remember was proposed for CSS3 but not decided...

My best regards.

                                      Troy III
                         progressive art enterprise