[Javascript] Accessibility (discussion)

Paul Novitski paul at juniperwebcraft.com
Fri Nov 21 16:09:54 CST 2008

Hey Troy,

When you set out to help people it's important not to make too many
assumptions about what they want.  For example, if you assume that
when someone widens their browser window they would like the web page
to enlarge to fill the space, you're going to please a few people and
irritate a whack of others.  For example, I nearly always work with
windows maximized on the PC, but I do not want websites to shout at
me.  When I pop from one application to another it's nice to have
text at similar sizes.

Similarly, many people will have a reason to narrow the window to
reveal just part of the page at a readable scale, and if you assume
that they want the entire page to shrink to 200 pixels wide you'll
probably just force people to turn off javascript on your sites or
find what they're looking for somewhere less aggravating.

Modern browsers can zoom independently of window resizing, so I
suggest that you don't really need to provide either capability and
you shouldn't lock the two together by default.  As always, the web
is about letting the user decide.  Provide the tools if you like, but
let the user choose when to turn them on.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Novitski
Juniper Webcraft Ltd.