[Javascript] A Dynamic Select Solution Sought

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Sun Jan 18 14:35:02 CST 2009

Hi gang:

On the outside chance that someone is looking for something to do --
here's a problem to consider:

http://www.webbytedd.com/b/dynamic-select/

The user can select up to five different time-slots to attend
meetings -- no problem with the user's initial selection.

But a problem arises because some of these time-slots overlap -- as
such, a user can select overlapping times that make it impossible for
them to attend two (or more) meetings at the same time.

For example, if a person selects the time-slot of 7:00am-9:00am to
attend Meeting A, then they cannot also attend Meeting B during any
part of the chosen time-slot. That means that times 7:30am-9:30am,
8:00am-10:00am, and 8:30am-10:30am should not be available for them
to select for other meetings.

As an example of the solution -- I would like it such that if the
user picks the time-slot 7:00am-9:00am in the first selection, then
all options falling within that time-slot would be dimmed in the
other four selections.

Likewise, I would like for this solution to continue with the
remaining selections. IOW, as the user selects time-slots, those
options will be taken out (i.e., dimmed) from the remaining available
time-slots.

I know it can be done, but it's taking me far more time than I can
afford at the moment. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------