[Theforum] isaac's proposal (more)

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Oct 22 18:04:04 CDT 2001

--from Nolo Press Nonprofit Corp FAQ
http://www.nolo.com/encyclopedia/articles/sb/np_faq.html#FAQ-985
<quote>
Is it difficult to run a nonprofit corporation?
Although operating a nonprofit corporation requires some attention to
detail, as long as you understand and follow some basic rules, you'll
be fine. The first rule is to hold required meetings of directors and
members and to keep minutes of these meetings in a corporate records
book. ....
</quote>

***

A nonprofit corporation is a specific legal entity with certain legal
requirements & therefore a certain amount of structure.

There is nothing to say that Evolt must be an official nonprofit corporation.

I think 501(c)(3) status would be a good thing, but it would involve
a certain adherence to structure & care with legal & budget issues.

For example, BoD meetings would have to occur regularly.  & if BoD
manages the budget, that impacts other various activities.  & if BoD
manages legal issues, they need the enough oversight to see that
Evolt is operating as it is supposed to (appropriate activities
engaged in, money handled properly, etc).  Which means there needs to
be structure, communication, accountability, etc.

If that's all too much, then maybe the 501(c)(3) status should be
reconsidered and we can keep our regular "go with the flow"
management style.

Erika