[Theforum] Re: Charter Gaps

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Wed Oct 24 19:48:35 CDT 2001

> actually, my prefered process would be a merger(like i mentioned
> before) of the administrative and discussion lists.

q. why not merge thesite list in too?
a. because the resulting inbox would be a fucking mess.

when i'm talking about future direction on theforum, i don't want to be
dodging threads about why we should deny articleX.

admin and direction are two different functions. just like implementation is
a third function. i think that they should be separate. but there's nothing
to say that someone can't be a member of each or any. (there is now, but
we'll change that.)

> my point is that one group(*admin*) shouldn't pick and choose people to
> decide who gets to contribute 'more'. its an individual choice and
> something people can do on their own.

i understand your distinction (further down) of being on the admin list and
actually having the priv to answer an email or edit/deny/approve an article.
it's not something i'd thought of. but at some stage, someone has to assign
that priv. currently it's probably you.

it's not something people "can do on their own" or should. they can choose
to get involved. they can say "yes, i've watched the admin list for a week
now, and i'm ready to help out. do you trust me?"

at that point, someone has to assign that priv. if it's not "one group",
it's one or two people. why not have it be that group? (whether by using a
voting app or a +1 as has been used to induct admins in the past).

> well if it *is* a quite poor article, it is. nothing you can do about it i
> guess. that shows up by the fact that it got denied. what it would also do

the future admin archives can be opened (older ones can't for reasons
expressed by adrian and javier so far). we'll just have to use tact when
discussing things like that. it'll also mean that conversation regarding
potential RichGibson's will also be open.

> i know you've brought this up before :) no we wouldn't just give joe user
> root to the boxes or priviledges to articles. we don't do that now on
> thesite list, and thats a good model for how it would work IMO.

as i said above, this is a distinction i had not thought of. ie, that entry
to the admin list would be open, but assigning a higher priv would be based
on trust.

where i think we're disagreeing is "who assigns that priv?"