[Theforum] culture-differences (was: Roll Call - Madhu)

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Tue Oct 30 17:27:32 CST 2001

At 4:56 PM -0600 10/30/01, you wrote:

>  >
>>  me too.  I'm a Texan like Dex, transplanted in Virginia for
>
>whoa, there, Tex. =)
>
>I may live in Texas, but I dunno if I call myself a Texan. I mean, I do
>adhere to the legal requirements of using "y'all" and its plural, "all
>y'all" and this summer I finally got a TollTag, but a Texan? Nah, even
>Bob's got me beat there, dontcha, mr cowboy boots?

Yeah I got the cowboy boots, but we don't have them there fancy
citified "TollTag" thangs here. Hell, just another way the gub'ment
wants to track your movements, ya know? Heeeell, I betcha you got one
of them there black helio-copters chasin' ya raght now. Yup. Damn
Dallas city boy.

Heather's a Texan though. That's why I'm here. You just can't get the
Texas girls to leave Texas.

Me? Corporate gypsy. I've lived in about 15 places, from Los Angeles,
CA to a sleepy little town in Vermont, to Washington, DC, to Vienna,
Austria. I'm not really from anywhere. I did live in Atlanta, GA for
a while in my childhood though, which makes it very hard to avoid
picking up an accent here...they're kind of similar.

>>  the moment.  I
>>  have traveled a lot, but not everywhere.  I like to learn as
>>  much as I can
>
>+43.889762

Travel is good. I've been traveling when I can to lots of places. I
like to think it's taught me a lot too.

>>  about other contries and cultures.  So clue us in when we do
>>  things or say
>>  things you do not understand.
>
>+ the remaining 56.110238

Yeah. It's pretty hard to be expressive without falling into cultural
metaphors sometimes, so let us know when we do it.

bob

--
bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org