[Theforum] survey rough draft

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat Nov 3 18:34:59 CST 2001

Ben Dyer wrote on 1/11/01 9:53 pm

>I think the idea of the proficiency of different products is great.  There
>needs to be a column for something like "Heard of it, Never Used It" or
>something to that affect.  I know of Python, I've never used it.

<background>
In our company, getting on a project is like going through an
employment agency. You have to convince the PwC project
director to put your CV (aka resume) forward to the client,
who then decides to hire you for a given role
</background>

We have a scale for skills which (from memory and paraphrasing
cos I'm not booting up my laptop) goes like this:

0: Never heard of it
1: Trained - have read a few books or been on a course
    but never really done it anger
2: Novice - done this once or twice
3: Practitioner - do this regularly, it's my normal job
4: Mastery - I'm really good at this, and help/teach other
    people
5: Guru - I am Jakob Nielsen/Linus

Of course, we could equally use the geekcode scale. Yeah,
that'd make more sense.

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland