[Theforum] Design (was: Demographics)

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Wed Nov 7 10:54:52 CST 2001

> At 08:15 AM 11/7/2001, you wrote:
> >Awhile back, admin considered doing a monthly/weekly site
> critique of a
> >major public site on thelist and then create an article out
> of it. This
> >way people would be free to be as harsh as they wanted and hopefully
> >technical issues with the site would have already been addressed.
> >There wouldn't be a point in talking about the backend when
> there isn't
> >a member of the implemention team on thelist.  Maybe this
> would drive
> >more design related threads and spinoffs.
>
> I had kicked around a similar idea before: What if you
> gathered together
> sites with similar ideas/organizations/industries/etc. and
> then compared
> them on a design level?  For example, you could compare the sites for
> Ford/GM/DaimlerChrysler/Honda/Toyota/etc. or MOMA/National Museum of
> Art/Guggenheim/Louvre or NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL or whatever and see
> who turned out
> to be the best in different areas.

One of the ideas we kicked around along this vein was taking the tack of
reviewing a site's accessibility. Basically, looking at sites and
analyzing how they might degrade, how they might be used by different
people, how the design works, etc. We'd also only review sites that were
better than pretty good. The idea being that an article trashing a site
might be a boring read.

- amanda (no coffee yet today)