[Theforum] multiple languages on WEO

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Mon Nov 12 16:01:31 CST 2001

At 03:51 PM 11/12/2001, you wrote:
>>what can't we handle? (greek, russian, chinese, japanese, etc?)
>
>why couldn't we handle those, exactly?  Because of the way the CMS is
>coded?  I think it would be problematic to exclude certain languages
>because they use a different alphabet.

It probably wouldn't be good to exclude them, but it would probably be a
good idea to put the articles where a character pack would have to be
installed for most users on the article page only.  On the main page, it
would probably be good to have an English description, then click the link
for the foreign language.  This way, English-speaking browsers wouldn't get
strange "This page has to install special language pack" messages.

This would apply to Arabic, Chinese, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Some
Eastern European Languages (Baltic, Cyrillic charsets), Thai, Turkish and
Vietnamese.  (At least, according to the encoding menu in IE.)

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/