[Theforum] Fwd: Re: [Admin] langs (was: 17320)

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 16:41:44 CST 2001

---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------
Date:        12/11/01 5:46 pm
From:        me me, martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
To:          Evolt Admin, admin at lists.evolt.org

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

The way I've seen this handled before is to have a table of
territories/languages and each content asset having many different
territory/language versions. That way, we wouldn't need whole
parallel databases, just versions of the content.

(Note that language is separate from territory - as per the
XML lang definition. At the moment, we've got the content
in several different versions of English, despite the en-us
language attribute.)

Of course, to extend this beyond the articles to navigation (and
you're right, we'd need localised navigation versions), we'd
need to treat *everything* on the site as a content asset under
the CMS.

The usual way of doing this is to have two kinds of asset:
1) Managed assets
    This is the navigation stuff - "There will always be one asset
    in this slot but you can change what it actually says"

2) Dynamic assets
     This is where the articles come in - "There may be none,
      one or many assets which can be here, and you can change
      both the number and contents of the assets"

Technically, it's doable (how much work involved, I don't know,
but it's pretty normal CMS stuff), but can we handle the process/
organisational issues involved?

I'm assuming that no-one thinks that being truely global (rather than
just talking about it) is A Bad Thing, but I'm entirely open to different
opinions.

(note to naysayers: now would be a good time to say 'nay')

To:   admin at lists.evolt.org
Subject:  [Admin] langs (was: 17320)

we cartainly dreamed of this happening someday
what i can't figure out at this moment is how to handle
the different language articles

a.- just among the rest of the articles
b.- it would require translating the whole navigation, and aparalell DB

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems.
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you
received
computer.

there are three kinds of people. those who can count
and those who can't. (from webhack.com)

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland