[Theforum] Re: langs

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Mon Nov 12 22:33:22 CST 2001

aardvark,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: aardvark
>
> not to mention, do we even think the CMS can handle
> multi-languages?
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

this is something i can speak about.  as it is right now, the cms cannot
handle languages that require a different charset.  however, that aspect
would be fairly easy to add.  there are provisions for marking an article as
being in a particular language (ie, there's a languageid column in the
content table).  that bit of information has just never been used or
expanded.  i think if we're going to consider a change like this though, we
should think about how the user's experience will be impacted by how we
implement it.

imho, our data structure isn't built to appropriately handle multi-language
(ie, an article that's been translated into several languages) articles.
done right, the contentid should be the same for all language versions of
the same article.  this makes it much easier to make the user aware of
different language versions.  it also makes it much easier for us to pick
the language version of the article to show the user by default based on
their language preferences in their user settings (as of yet to be
implemented so don't bother looking for it).  in order for different
language versions of the same article to share the contentid, we'd need a
child table to hold the language specific content.

just so everyone knows, i'm not just talking out of my ass on this.  i've
built a site with requirements like this in the recent past including
designing the supporting database architecture, coldfusion architecture,
etc.

just my thoughts,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/