[Theforum] New feature suggestions

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Thu Nov 15 07:39:25 CST 2001

At 5:33 PM +0530 11/15/01, you wrote:

>At 03:32 AM 11/11/2001, you wrote:
>>my personal opinion is that the problem is not in how to communicate the
>>desire for the article, but in motivating potential authors to write it --
>>and the best vehicle for this, again speaking just for myself, is comments
>>on thelist
>
>Sorry for commenting on this so late, Rude, but I just thought of it.
>
>As I tried to convince a friend to write an article on Evolt, he
>asked about recognition. I said, "well, you're identified as the
>author and you own the copyright". But he pointed out that only the
>user name was shown there, not anything more about the author (not
>even a name).

The username is a link to the member info though...

>This got me thinking. I reckon it wouldn't be a bad idea to add some
>biographical, perhaps funny, info about the author at the end of
>articles. For example:
>
>"John Doe is the lead developer at [company], where he bangs out
>bytes to try and make the world a connected place. When he isn't
>busy juggling Java code, he likes to relax with a glass of wine and
>listen to Metallica. Crazy? Absolutely."
>
>What do you think, theforum? Publicity is often good motivation.

That's what Apple does in their internet developer site. They have a
contributors page with a brief bio for each contributor. Most of them
are kind of funny and say something about 'who' the writer is.  They
don't have a link to the author info from the articles, but they have
links to the articles under the authors bio.

bob

--
bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org